Thursday, February 4, 2010

learning the local language

I have had three main ways to work on my Czech language skills:
1) Pilmsler audio tracks (from the Craig family)
2) conversation with those around me
3) self help from books

I started 1) in Juneau. It has been helpful here, but people around me don't understand me when I say one of the most repeated phrase in the CD so far, "I would like" or "would you like." This lack of understanding could be due a) my pronunciation is incorrect, b) my usage is incorrect, or c) Pimsler is wrong. I'm thinking the lack of understanding must be due to a) and b). I have, however, learned most of the czech I know from Pimsler, and Czechs understand most of the rest of what I have to say. I've been focusing on learning the other converstaion in the CDs that Czechs around me seem to understand.

This is where 2) conversation with those around me comes in. Unfortunately, I know enough to talk to people in stores, numbers, how much does this cost, how much do I owe, and the entrance and exit greetings, so going to stores only improves my Czech language skills slightly. The best opporunity I have to speak Czech is with the team in the locker room and on the ice. Again unfortunately for my language acquisition, we're focused on hockey, and not on teaching me Czech. The locker room (kabina) is the best place to both have a conversation and to listen to conversations. I hope that if they're conscious of me listening, that they know that I'm not really listening for the content (other than the hockey content), just the language.




















A couple at the vchod (entrance), which is next to the vychod (exit) at the Czech Home Depot.

Today I've been looking at a book I'm borrowing from Lenka. I think it will be helpful, it offers the czech language in a conversation style. I also have a Czech - English dictionary, and a free translator on my phone for words on the fly.


The meet factory

I will soon have a new place to learn Czech. Jahu, from the team works for the Meet Factory at a center for contemporary art. They have resident artists from around the world who are (I think often) English speaking. The meet factory puts on Czech sessions once a week for the resident artists. One morning I was really frustrated with myself because I didn't understand Czech which made practice (training) difficult, and I was really tired (which was my own fault). I think this stirred Jahu into inviting me to attend the Czech sessions for the artists in exchange for correcting English for her. I'm pretty excited about learning from someone who is interested in teaching Czech, and about learning Czech in a verbal, conversational and interactive style.

No comments:

Post a Comment