Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Marseille

I flew on Czech Airlines from Prague directly to Marseille. In Marseille, like in the Czech Republic, I can take public transportation from the airport to wherever I want to go. I chose to stay in Vertigo, a hostel, because it was reasonably priced, and because it was located near the transportation center and the port.

Thursday February 11, 2010
My first night my roommates were from Japan, Korea and Turkey. I walked around and got oriented.
Inside the hostel:










The stairs near the transportation center, when I got to Marseille:









I was pleasantly surprised to find (just like Celia said) that wine can be very inexpensive, 1 euro. The prices for wine, in euros, might be visible below:












Friday February 12, 2010

I had some some cheese and bread I brought from Kladno for breakfast. My first mission of the day was to find some sort of espresso. My roommates this night were from Brazil (two brothers), and Switzerland.

I walked around the St. Nicholas Fortress:






View from the fortress:








Unfortunately, Notre Dame de la Guarde was on the top of a hill, very tall, with very limited room to back away, making it was hard to take a good picture of Notre Dame de la Guard.

View from Notre Dame de la Guarde:




















Me, standing near Notre Dame de la Guarde, with Marseille in the background. It was very windy both Friday and Saturday:





















In the chapel of Notre Dame de la Guarde:















Saturday February 13th, 2010
I spent this day with a couple of people I met at the hostel, a Czech and a Dutch. It was pretty random to run into a Czech in Marseille, he was studying in Lyon. I wanted to visit a market, so we walked there. Then we rented bikes, stopped by Notre Dame de la Guarde, then went down the coast. This night my roommates were an American, a Canadian and the Swiss.

The coast:















I was impressed with the public transportation in Marseille, it was big, shiny, silent and futuristic:








Sunday February 14th, 2010

It was snowing lightly when I left, making it feel like it was time to leave. I flew from Marseille to Paris to Prague this day, and has a few hour layover in Paris, so I got to see enough of Paris to know that I wanted to come back.

I miss George every day, but I missed him especially on this day because my phone stopped receiving the local telephone network. Fortunately, wireless still works so I can use skype. I mentioned before that I am accepting donations to my skype account, I think accepting offers to pay percentages of my cell phone bills might be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment